Legacy Systems and a very handy SQL comparrison Tool

On Friday, I had the "pleasure" of having to get a legacy system up and running.
This system was originally introduced to allow users in the business to manage group membership for projects they had ownership of. The idea was that it would cut down user calls to the service desk by about 10% and allow the project managers themselves to get a speedier turn around for new starters.
Sounds fine in theory and in the world of NT4 it wasn't a problem. Move on to the world of Active Directory and things are a little different. The legacy system ( v4.6) has been superceded about 5 times over but we can't just install the latest version. Trust me on this, the latest version is fine but there are many design decisions and compromises as well as several rejections for upgrading the system from a few years back that have all combined to lead to the current problem.

The actual problem was an interesting one. The system was complaining whenever anyone tried to edit a group. A restore of the back end SQL database fixed the problem until the next domain sync occurred when the database would corrupt itself again.

Obviously, the sync was pulling something from the domain that it didn't like.
For the first attempt at a fix I fired up SQL Trace which records every single SQL statement that goes to a selected database. The neat thing about Trace is that it's possible to point the trace results to a SQL database itself and then filter it to get rid of stuff you know isn't going to help - such as SQL agent tasks and so on.
Trace left me with a multi-variable SQL script spanning over 4,000 lines and quite difficult to read or even test so I decided that the next best thing was to restore the working database to new a database name and then find a tool to compare every object on the bindview user table to see what was different between the restore and the one that synced with the domain and promptly broke.

was the third tool I tried and whilst it has a very simplistic point and click interface it's incredibly powerful for comparing two SQL databases. Once the comparison is done you get two side-by-side windows which represent the two databases. Changes are highlighted by colour - Red for deletions, Blue for new and black for no changes.
This left me with a 2,000 list of changes, deletions and amendments in the database.
AdeptSQL also lets you filter things out and by using these features I eventually tracked the problem down to the description field of two user accounts.
These accounts had spurious characters in them which Bindview being rather old and totally ASCII prompt fell over on. Removing these and waiting for a resync solved the problem.

Whilst AdeptSQL helped me solve that particular problem there is still the problem of this legacy system updating Active Directory whilst not being active directory aware which leads to some other fun and games with the display name versus the SAMAccountAdeptSQL

Author image
Maidstone
IT Person | Veeam Vanguard | VMware vExpert | Windows admin | Docker fan | Spiceworks moderator | keeper of 3 cats | Avid Tea fan